If your study abroad program does not appear on the Approved Programs list, follow the steps outlined below to petition for its approval.
Upon review of your request, you will be notified if the program has been approved. As a backup option, consider applying to a program from the Approved Programs list in the event that your petition is not approved*
How to Petition for Program Approval:
1) Request a meeting to discuss the petitioned program
2) After the meeting, complete the Petition for Program Approval created for you during the petition meeting. In the form, be prepared to include information regarding:
- Your rationale for choosing this program
- Why none of the programs from the Approved Programs list are a good fit
- How this program fits in with your academic goals, as well as your personal/cultural needs or interests
You will also be expected to submit specific information on the academic and social components of the program, including a preliminary course list and syllabi, housing structure, opportunities for cultural immersion, etc.
3) Submit your complete Petition for Program Approval form by the appropriate deadlines (October 15 for Spring study abroad; March 15 for Fall study abroad)
* The OIE reserves the right to consult with Harvard University departments regarding the academic rigor and content, safety and security measures in place, and other aspects of your petitioned program prior to approving or denying your petition request.