The application process is a two-step process:
1) Apply directly to the foreign institution or study abroad program for admission
- Visit the program or university website to view deadlines and to access application
- Deadlines for admission vary widely, and many study abroad programs have rolling
admissions, so apply early!
2) Apply for Transfer Credit
- The Application for Transfer credit will open early in January for summer study abroad.
Do not wait to be admitted to your study abroad program to submit an application for
- To complete an Application for Transfer Credit:
1) Review the list of suggested programs, and click on the Apply for Transfer Credit button
under the program name. If the program you are applying to does not appear on the list
of suggested programs, click on the Start/Resume an Application button on the left-hand
side of the suggested programs page, and apply to the generic program named
"Summer Study Abroad Program".
2) Complete and submit all the required on-line forms.
3) Print the "Approval of Summer Study Abroad" form from your online application and submit it, with the
appropriate signatures and required materials, to the OIE (1414 Mass Ave, 3rd Floor) by
the application deadline.
If applying for summer funding:
1) Apply directly to the foreign institution or study abroad program for admission.
2) Prepare your materials:
- Unofficial Transcript: Avalable under the "View Unofficial Transcript" link in the Grades
tab of my.harvard.edu.
- Project Proposal: 750-word essay detailing how this study abroad experience fits into
your academic work at Harvard College, saved in PDF format.
- Apply for transfer credit (see above).
- Proof of acceptance to program or evidence of application, saved in PDF format.
- Enroll in Direct Deposit: Enroll via your term bill by following these instructions. Take a
screen shot of your "Direct Deposit Enrollment Receipt" and save as a PDF.
3) Submit your materials.
4) Complete the OCS Funding Application for Non-Harvard Study Abroad Programs using
the Centralized Application for Research and Travel (CARAT) by Thursday, February 6,
2020 at 5:00 pm.
If you are interested in participating in a Harvard Summer School study abroad program, please
contact the Harvard Summer School directly.